Motel Off Stoddard Wells Converts to One Bedroom Apts. For Homeless Vets

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. – Supervisor Lovingood: The County and its nonprofit partners have worked to house more than 1,000 homeless veterans, and we’ve received national recognition for our innovative approaches. Earlier this year, the Board of Supervisors approved funding for an additional deputy for the very successful Sheriff’s HOPE Team. We’re also using new data-collecting technology and targeted mapping to capture a more accurate number of homeless people in our communities.

Our latest project is Desert Haven Apartments, formally the Queens Motel in Victorville.

To help address chronic homelessness, the County Housing Authority acquired the vacant motel near I-15 and Stoddard Wells Road. In cooperation with its affiliate nonprofit developer Housing Partners I, Inc., the City of Victorville and the County of San Bernardino, the units are now being converted to 1-bedroom apartments, creating 31 units, plus an on-site manager’s unit, and a community center. We expect the rehab work to be done this fall.

Former site of the Queens Motel off Stoddard Wells and I-15. A 31 – unit renamed Desert Haven with laundry room, patio, and community room.

To ensure the tenants’ success, the County Housing Authority will provide onsite supportive services in partnership with the San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health, San Bernardino County Workforce Development Board, Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP), Goodwill of Southern California, Step Up on Second, and Loma Linda University Medical Center. Ultimately, our goal is to help ensure stability and to maximize each tenant’s ability to live independently.

Simone Graham – Editor High Desert Gazette

7 Responses to Motel Off Stoddard Wells Converts to One Bedroom Apts. For Homeless Vets

1. Maggie Martin says:

I’m very excited about this. My Dad was a 20 yr USAF vet, not homeless. Much to the contrary.However, I will always feel that we, as a society are obligated to help them out. Yes, I know, most have alcohol, substance abuse or mental issues. The real question for us is, “how did they become this way?”. I’m very gratelful to the SBCBOS, City of Victorville and partners in this worthy venture.

2. Terry says:

Sounds great, I don’t see any mention of VASH in the article. Will The VA be involved in this. I just left the homeless program but started working in Another program at the VA that needs resources for transitioning vets out of group homes. The don’t all qualify as homeless veterans even though they don’t have a place to go.

3. That is so great! We should recognize our Veterans regardless. They sacrificed theyre lives for our freedom. Sacrificed their families. They entered the service being 100% percent and returned with so much baggage. Experiencing all they saw, what they had to do left then damaged. Some or alot of them didn’t know how to cope mentally and turned to alcohol and/or drugs causing alot if homeless veterans. Todd is a way to give them recognition and say “THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE”!

4. Samantha. Leonard says:

How do they apply for this housing ?

• hdgazette says:

I think the Housing Authority oversees renting out these Veterans housing complexes. I know that the new apartment complex for vets in Loma Linda was handled by the housing authority. Contact our local Veteran’s Services office to see if they have the information, yet.

• Lynn Stubbs says:

Awesome it too long to get them off the streets But thank You Jesus for The shelter for our war HEROES 😍💯❤️💜💯

5. Lisa Anne Mathews says:

OMG! I have been saying for YEARS, that instead of having all of the empty and abandoned buildings sitting up here in the high desert, rotting away, that our communities should get together to figure out a way to convert them into housing for our homeless/Vets. Finally the day has come. I am hopeful and super happy for this wonderful project to become reality for so many folks that really need homes. God bless all who have made some folks dream come true, and God bless our Veterans and all the brave men and women who serve and have served our country. Hallelujah! Bravo!!